- Source of fibre
- Low in salt
- High in polyunsaturated fats
Vitamins & Minerals
- High in Folic acid, Thiamin, Vitamin B6
- Source of Vitamins C and E
- High in Phosphorus and Magnesium. Source of Potassium
- California (75% of global production)
- Eastern European producers: Moldova, Bulgaria
- April and May (South America)
- September and October (Europe)
- November and December (China and India)
Key varieties are Chandler and Hartley, but there are a host of domestic varieties of walnut grown in California.
As with almonds, walnut orchards normally grow a selection of varieties which are harvested at different times during the harvest season.
- Walnut Halves
- Broken (quarter pieces or smaller)
- Kibbled/Chopped (2mm+ pieces)
- Ground (0-2mm pieces)
Californian cleaning of walnut shell and sceptre is to an extremely high level compared to that of producers in other parts of the world.
As such, we now buy our walnuts exclusively from California; they have a much lower risk of foreign bodies in the crop, as well as not having a bitter aftertaste.
The UK market is very price driven, so while competitors will still buy Indian or Chinese walnuts, we prefer to only use the higher quality product.